From farm to glass
Our 80-acre farm in Shepherd, Michigan, is located about an hour and a half north of Kalamazoo.
We grow 2-row barley that is used in Midwestern Pale Ale, Christmas Ale and Harvest Ale. Once harvested, the barley is then roasted and kilned by Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.
Our farm, a part of Bell's since 2008, is not only an investment in Michigan agriculture, but also enhances our commitment to quality.
About our Farm
- Moisture management: No-till farming practices support surrounding ecosystems by minimizing erosion and the use of water-contaminating fertilizers, all while improving soil quality.
- Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) certified
- Tiled for draining which helps oxygenate the soil and allows earlier planting and a longer season.
- All crops are 100% Non-GMO (genetically modified organism).
- Barley is grown on a 3 year rotation.
- Fertilizer is tightly controlled and spoon fed, which allows better absorption of nitrogen that would otherwise be lost to the water table.