LOCATION: Brewery, Comstock, MI
REPORTS TO: Sustainability Manager
FLSA POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Hourly Non-Exempt
EXTERNAL POSTING DATES: 05/23/2016-06/12/2016
POSITION SUMMARY: The Sustainability Specialist is responsible for the implementation, oversight and continuous improvement of the Bell’s solid waste reduction, reuse, and recycling programs at all locations, staff education and training, supply chain assessment, and community outreach while also providing support for the daily operations of the Sustainability Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following.
- Adheres to and advances the “Safety Always” culture of Bell’s Brewery.
- Acts as the principal point of contact for all matters regarding solid waste at Bell’s Brewery, Inc. and the liaison for Bell’s solid waste management partners.
- Sustains and develops recycling and solid waste management systems at all Bell’s facilities including, but not limited to, data tracking, auditing, staff education, and continuous improvement.
- Facilitates Employee education and engagement in sustainable operations at Bell’s Brewery.
- Pursues new and innovative ways to decrease the economic impacts of brewery byproducts by minimizing hauling costs and maximizing byproduct revenue opportunities.
- Manages long-term storage of high value assets.
- Sustains and develops community outreach programs including, but not limited to Adopt-a-Highway collections.
- Supports deliberate sourcing of materials by, but not limited to, maintaining a registry of commercially available Genetically Modified Crop products for cross reference by raw materials procurement.
- Documents processes and tracking as they relate to standard operating procedures (SOP’s) associated with solid waste management.
- Assists Sustainability Manager in the development of strategic and academic partnerships.
- Assists the Sustainability Manager with operational data development.
- Assists Sustainability Manager with daily duties and special projects.
- Participates in and assists with the oversight of the Sustainability Committee.
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fork lift truck
- Computer and standard office equipment
- Company Vehicle
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; able to communicate with a broad and diverse audience of all levels.
- Comfortable working in a team environment with a great deal of interdepartmental coordination.
- Ability to efficiently multi-task and prioritize in order to meet deadlines on multiple projects in a timely fashion.
- Understanding of Life Cycle Assessment and Scope 1 through 3 environmental impacts.
- Demonstrate high levels of self-direction.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office Suite, focus on Access and Excel)
- Familiarity with Cost Benefit Analysis and Life Cycle Costing
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- A bachelor degree or equivalent work experience in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Sustainability, Communications, or Environmental Health and Safety.
- Previous experience with Solid Waste Management focusing on large scale recycling, high value metals, and composting programs.
- A history of Community Service and volunteerism.
- Familiarity with byproducts of the brewing, fermentation, and packaging processes at a craft brewery, is a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit for long periods of time, stand, walk, use a computer and other office equipment.
- Occasionally lifting up to 25 pounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This position works primarily in an office environment with regular trips into the brewery required.
Bell’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer.