To celebrate the fall season, our chefs have created some Best Brown inspired dishes. Enjoy!
Brined Pork Chop with Apple Kohlrabi Slaw
Ingredients for Brine:
1 gallon of water
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup salt
½ cup sugar
2 sprigs rosemary
6 sprigs thyme
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
4-6 pork chops
- In a pot large enough to hold a gallon of water add all of the ingredients, except the pork, and bring to a simmer. Stir the brine to make sure the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Let the brine cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate until chilled.
- Add pork to bring and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (no more than 6).
- Before cooking, pull pork out of brine, pat it dry with a towel, and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Cook pork with your desired method, our chefs recommend grilling (about 4-6 minutes per side).
Apple Kohlrabi Slaw
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 Kohlrabi stemmed and peeled
1 tbs sugar
½ tbs salt
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Using a box grater, food processor, or mandolin, shred the apples and kohlrabi.
- Mix the apples and kohlrabi with the salt, sugar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Let the mixture marinade until the apples and kohlrabi start releasing liquid.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
This dish can be enjoyed in many forms. For the fall season, and with a Best Brown, mashed potatoes and browned butter with capers go along with it well. It can also be tasty and and a lighter over some herbed rice and the liquid extracted from the slaw.