To celebrate the fall season, our chefs at the Eccentric Cafe have created some Best Brown inspired dishes. Enjoy!
Fall Squash and Zucchini Fritters with Butter Pecan Ice Cream and Best Brown Caramel Sauce
Ingredients for caramel sauce:
- 1 bottle of Best Brown
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a sauce pan, combine sugar and Best Brown. Whisk over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cream and butter. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes until it is thick and resembles caramel.
Ingredients for fritters:
- 2 cups of any fall squash, roasted and pureed (pumpkin, spaghetti squash, acorn, butternut)*
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tbs for zucchini
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking pwder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-2 qts canola oil (for frying)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
*canned pumpkin will also work
- In a large sauce pan, fitted with an oil thermometer (or a table top fryer), heat the oil to 350 F.
- Mix the shredded zucchini with 2 tbs of sugar and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The sugar will draw liquid out of the zucchini. After 15 minutes, place zucchini in a towel or fine mesh strainer and squeeze as much liquid out as you can. Reserve the liquid.
- While the zucchini is sitting, whisk together the squash and the eggs. Add the 1 cup of sugar and mix until homogenous.
- Whisk together baking soda, baking powder, flour, and salt. Add flour mixture to squash mixture.
- Add squeezed zucchini to the batter. If batter seems too thick, add some of the zucchini water to thin it out. It should have the consistency of loose cookie dough.
- Place the batter into the fryer a spoonful at a time. Fry until the fritters look golden brown.
- Carefully remove fritters from the hot oil onto a plate lined with paper towel to soak up excess oil. Dust fritters with powdered sugar.
Place fritters in a bowl with your favorite ice cream (our chefs recommend butter pecan), and drizzle with the Best Brown caramel sauce.