Painting of the Bell's Farm by Kalamazoo artist Conrad Kaufman.
From Farm to Glass
Our 80-acre farm in Shepherd, Michigan, is located about an hour and a half north of Kalamazoo.
It has been a part of Bell's since 2008.
We grow 2-row barley that is used in Midwestern Pale Ale, Christmas Ale and Harvest Ale. Once harvested, the barley is then roasted and kilned by Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.
Our farm is not only an investment in Michigan agriculture but also enhances our commitment to quality.
About the Bell's Farm
• Moisture management: No-till farming practices support surrounding ecosystems by minimizing erosion and the use of water-contaminating fertilizers, all while improving soil quality.
• It is tiled for draining which helps oxygenate the soil and allows earlier planting and a longer season.
• All crops are 100% Non-GMO (genetically modified organism)
• Barley is grown on a 3 year rotation.
• Fertilizer is tightly controlled and spoon fed, which allows better absorption of nitrogen that would otherwise be lost to the water table.